Hello all! I am finally trying out Secret Pal 7. I've always missed the sign ups deadline but this time I got my stuff together and got in! I'll post the button up soon. In fact I need to update and do lots of buttons on my sidebar. But for now, here's the questionnaire to help my secret pal!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Yeah, I admit that I am. I will use acrylic blends though.
2. Do you spin? Crochet? I tried spinning with a drop spindle. I like carding but spinning was more than my little brain could handle. I've avoided crocheting simply because I'm afraid of doubling my supply of patterns! I will need to learn absolute basics though because the crayon box jacket that I'm doing requires a single chain along the inside neck for reinforcement.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?I have 3 cases: 1 for my straights, 1 for my circs and I keep my DPNs in a case I use to keep my tools like my measuring tape, CIBI needles, etc.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Well. I originally learned to knit back in another century, '95 to be exact, when my husband went on a 6 month deployment. I knitted a baby blanket for my oldest daughter, then 2 1/2 and started one for my next daughter with whom I was pregnant. After second daughter I stopped knitting and didn't start again until 2004. I started again as a way to help my weight loss because I tend to eat when I'm bored. I consider myself almost an intermediate knitter. I can knit socks, cables, a little fair isle but I've yet to do a real sweater.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes I do under castelfam.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I tend to like vanillas, cranberries, any food ones really.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I do have a major sweet tooth but I'm on a diet now and sugar free stuff isn't the same.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?I took private photography lessons in Newport, Rhode Island and I'm just discovering fun areas in Memphis. I also read a lot and I like to cook.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)It's easier to say that I'm not a big fan of rap, country, 70's and gospel. I like 80's, hard rock, 50's and 60's, and soft rock. My computer can play MP3's but I don't have an IPOD and we have some USB cord issues right now. So CD is better.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?I tend to decorate with blues, white and yellows. I tend to wear hot pinks and reds. I usually knit for myself with blues and greens but for the crayon box jacket I forced myself into the red, gold and blacks because I liked the look. I usually avoid orange unless it's a pinky orange.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?Married with 2 daughters ages 10 & 13, husband currently at home. I say that not because we have any problems but because he's in the Navy. His current job is a shore one though so aside from a few short trips, he isn't going anywhere for a long period of time. Also have an 11 year old black and white cat,Zoe.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?I like thin accessorizing scarves (don't need the warm ones in this part of Tennessee). I don't usually wear hats but I like to knit them. I'll wear mittens and I don't own nor have I ever knitted a poncho but I'd love to do either.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?I absolutely adore Lorna's Lace but no one in the Memphis area sells the sock yarn. I love Koigu, Noro, and Brown Sheep. I'd like to knit with Dale of Norway Baby Uhl because I've heard so much about it.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?I really don't like the feel of Red Heart. I also tried Classic Elite Flash and hated it. Fiberwise, so far I like everything.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? I'm back into the trendy scarf yarns but not for scarves. I took a class with Chris Bylsma for the crayon box jacket and learned how to utilize these yarns in so many other ways than scarves. So that stash is growing again. I still adore sock yarns.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?That depends on the moment. I love socks and mittens. I just knitted a booga bag and want to knit a bunch more. I plan on knitting a bunch of felted intarsia slippers from Knit One, Felt Too. I'm only done with the sleeves of my crayon box jacket but I'm planning the next. I'm all over the map on this one.
17. What are you knitting right now?LOL - Chris Bylsma's Crayon Box jacket in reds, black and gold. Also becoming a UFO is a ruffles scarf from Scarfstyle. I'm bored with it.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?I haven't received many but yes!!
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?Either
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?Bamboo definitely
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No but I'd love one
22. How did you learn to knit?I took a class at The Knitting Corner in Virginia Beach both times in '95 and 2004 from a wonderful lady, Carol, who passed away from cancer last year. Also took a sock class there.
23. How old is your oldest UFO? The unfinished baby blanket from my first knitting class, my second project. It's about 10 years old. But besides the ruffles scarf, that's the only UFO I have.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?I love cats mostly and it's scary to say but my favorite animated character is probably Chef from South Park.
25. What is your favorite holiday?I really love them all. I'm more of a "Happy Everything" kind of gal but I own more Christmas decorations than any other holiday.
26. Is there anything that you collect?More like what don't I!! I have Cat's Meow wood cutouts from places we've lived and visited, I collect depression glass in the pineapple and floral pattern. I collect blue willow china from before 1910-1920. I also collect Canton china. I have my dad's collection of Tom Clark gnomes. I have my collection and have started ones for my daughters of the Hallmark Christmas ornaments.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?Creative Knitting, Interweave, Cast On..Can't remember if I have Vogue Knitting.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Sweaters from Camp by Meg Swansen, Traditional Fair Isle knitting by Sheila McGregor and the original "Harry Potter" sweater pattern from Rowan.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?How to do steeks and bobbles
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?Yes I am a sock knitter. I'm a US size 7 1/2. I'll measure my foot soon.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)08/23